Sunday, May 11, 2014

Wildlife in Ft. Pierre National Grassland


Grazing Cattle

The Ft. Pierre National Grassland in central South Dakota is an expanse of land owned by the government, but much of it is used by farmers and cattle ranchers. Dirt roads run all through the land, so if you have a sturdy vehicle, the patience, and a keen eye, you can spot all sorts of species. It's a birdwatcher's paradise.


Here are some of the birds we found. I'm just getting used to my new 500 mm lens, so these are far from perfect, but I'm having a blast discovering all of this amazing wildlife!

The first was the Wilson's Phalarope. This was a fascinating bird to watch because it spins around in circles to stir up potential food. I thought this behavior was odd until I searched my field guide to ID it.






Notice the little whirlpool that he's creating as he spins around.














These ducks are Blue-winged Teal











This Yellow-headed Blackbird wouldn't sit still and I was shooting from a bouncing car! But none-the-less, I was excited to spot it! 


At this point, we were up to our wheel wells in mud, but I had to try to get these two.

Marbled Godwit


This Ring-necked Pheasant wanted nothing to do with me and I wasn't about to chase him!
Cowbird

Bird on a Wire (don't know this one)


Off to The Badlands next!


2 comments:

  1. Bird on a post looks like a cowbird, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably so, but it was very small, so maybe a juvi. Also, my bird ID book shows a yellow beak and this one is black.

      Delete