Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Day 2: A Birthday Surprise


Sometimes things happen when you least expect them! This morning Lee and I were preparing to leave the campground in Ohio to head for our next stop in Indiana. We each have our routines down--I pack up the inside of the trailer and Lee takes care of the outside chores. I was just about finished when I heard Lee call me to come outside quickly. When I opened the door, he pointed to the top of a tall spruce tree just across a field from our trailer and said, "Go get your camera!" To my surprise, there was a beautiful bald eagle sitting atop the tree.





It turned out to be a pretty amusing show. The eagle was being harassed by a very brazen crow. I'm not sure whether the eagle was intimidated by the crow or just pissed off, but he finally flew away. The crow immediately claimed the spot on the higher branch, but only for a moment before flying away himself. I guess he just wanted to prove a point.

I expected to see lots of eagles when we get to Alaska, but the last thing I expected was to see one sitting in a tree in my Ohio campground on our second day. Since today is my birthday, I decided that it was a sign of good things to come.   Tomorrow we head for Wisconsin. I wonder what's in store?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, an eagle for your birthday, what a treat! The crows in our woods often chase the hawks, perhaps protecting their chicks in their nests. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! The eagle obviously didn't see the crow as a threat or even a nuisance. The red tail hawk who invaded an eagle nest at Duke Farms last year was not so lucky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s8anVG-o_I

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo.

    Keep us posted on camp ground names so we can benefit should we ever re-Trace your steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee and Lynda - wow!! What a beautiful photo and what a lovely present for all of us! Thank you for sharing!
    All of your photos are tremendous!

    ReplyDelete